Guidebook: Kenwood – The Iveagh Bequest


English HeritageEnglish Heritage

Buy from English Heritage

SKU: 5288102027876713 Category:


Kenwood House is a striking neoclassical villa on the edge of Hampstead Heath. The house was bought in 1754 by William Murray a distinguished lawyer who became Lord Chief Justice in 1756. He commissioned the famous architect Robert Adam to expand the original house and create a suite of rooms for entertaining. The library at Kenwood is widely acknowledged to be one of Adam’s finest interiors.Today the house contains an outstanding collection of Old Master paintings donated by Edward Cecil Guinness 1st Earl of Iveagh who bequeathed the house and part of his collection to the nation in 1927. The house has recently been restored both inside and out. The original colour schemes have been reinstated in the Adam rooms allowing visitors to appreciate the collection in a more authentic 18th Century setting.This brand new guidebook sheds light on Kenwood’s history and also provides a tour of the house and its collection. It is illustrated with specially commissioned photography three brand new reconstruction drawings showing the development of the house new phased plans and historical images.Key Features:52 pagesPaperbackPublished in 2014

Additional information


English Heritage Publishing


English Heritage